Friday, March 28, 2014

Hungry Eyes

That's the way I used to describe my need to be visually inspired. I honestly felt like my eyes were hungry in the way my stomach would be if I hadn't eaten.
When I first discovered online places like Flickr, I felt like that unquenched need had a place to turn to be satiated. And this, despite the fact that it might take a bit of searching to find images that spoke to me personally.
As an artist and designer, I think Pinterest does an even better job of meeting that need. Maybe it has to do with the way it is organized. Maybe it's because you  curate what you see, but I find myself turning to it on a daily basis, pinning images, and reviewing those images when the creative well is a little dry.
Today, I thought I'd share 5 images from my Inspirations Board, that's 5 out of 1,307 pins. These are not my 5 favorites, though I love each one. The board is packed with favorites, so I couldn't possibly pick 5. These are just a sampling, somewhat randomly selected, but all very beautiful. I hope they inspire you too. I've linked each image which hopefully will guide you to the original maker.
This is a knitted blanket design by Kristin Kapur. I love many of her designs and it's easy to see how this inspired this:

Next up is a print by one of my all time favorite artists/designer, Anni Albers.


Though this is a screen print, I can definitely see it re-interpreted as a quilt, couldn't you?


I find myself returning often to this image of crocheted blankets. I love thinking about ways to re-envision this concept in fabric rather than yarn.

Here's a rug design that would make an amazing quilt!


Sometimes, it's a simple twist on the tradition that catches my eye. I love the Double Wedding Ring pattern and I think this is a lovely rendition of it, but what really caught my eye and made me think about applying it to my own designs was the use of black rather than a traditional white or cream as the background color. This block is the perfect kind of inspiration because there's something in it that starts me thinking about seeing or doing things in a different way. That's exactly what my eyes are hungry for.


5 comments:

liz said...

Great post Malka. I love seeing your own work, but seeing what inspires you is cool too. Off to check out the rest of your inspiration board. Thanks!

I LOVE my Stitch in Dye fabric and have been hoarding it, waiting to discover the way I want to use it. I used a bit in a wall hanging that I love, and may try to replicate it in full sized quilt version. I love your colors and style!

Jodi said...

Thanks for the lovely eye candy! I've been wanting to try a wedding ring but want a modern version, and I think this is just the thing!

Venus de Hilo said...

Oh dear, now I want to crochet a blanket....

apiecefullife said...

Yes I like the use of black as well....

Beth said...

Love the wedding ring.