Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Two Questions

Two questions:

1. How many licks does it take to get to the center of the Tootsie Pop? (I suspect I've asked this here before. It's one of my favorite quandaries, right up there with where do matching socks go when they disappear)

2. Why is it, despite seeing and being inspired by something, it doesn't instantly dawn on me how I can re-create it in my own life?

For example, consider this wonderful display:
A treasure trove of beautifully crafted potholders artfully arranged on a wall. I found this image on Pinterest, but it originated here.
The minute I saw it, I pinned it to my Collections Board.
The same is true for this one:
Also, found and pinned on Pinterest, but linked to this site.
Anyway, I also have a potholder collection, all hand made...by me. Do you know where I display them? Nowhere. I've always kept them in a drawer. Sure, I use them, but I could just as easily use them if they hung from pegs in my kitchen. But, I never thought to show them off, even though I saw bunches of examples of just that and thought to myself, "Doesn't that look great."
It never even dawned on me until...I thought about moving and decorating my new space.
Then I realized, " Hey, I've got quite a few potholders myself and I should really use them both to keeping my fingers from getting burned as I remove that fluffy souffle from the oven and as a way to beautify my space. "
So, here are my potholders:
Now, mine are not crocheted; they're pieced, quilted, and bound. And, this is not even a real "display" as I've not moved in to my new house, but this gives you an idea of what it will or could look like. I say could not because I won't display them, but because there are so many possibilities.
For today's post I just pinned them to my design wall.
Makes me wonder what other obvious solutions both to design problems and, frankly, life problems, are just sitting under my nose, ignored until some random event comes along to give me that "aha" moment.
Why, I might even know how many licks it takes to get to the center of the Tootsie Roll and not realize it.

For those of you who are interested, a couple of these potholder patterns are for sale in my shop. Just in case you want to whip up a few and display your own collection.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First thought on the first picture was - Dear Jane...arrangement! Your potholders are great and gave em an idea. I am making pillowcases for some gift baskets for out of town guest....thinking I will add Texas potholders as well. Thanks

Ali said...

Beautiful! That was a great translation of your inspiration, and now I'll be pinning YOUR potholder wall :)

Quilt or Dye said...

Show them off!

meli B said...

Some people might think a pot holder is nothing special but in your case each one is so individual. I love your idea of putting them on show. They are certainly more worthy of showing than living in a drawer.

folksmith said...

they look great on your design wall. you should hang them in your kitchen, they look great!

Teje Karjalainen said...

That's a beautiful collection and perfect wall decor!

Tammy Vasser said...

What a beautiful display!! Love it!