Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Girl from 5305

...is my lucky number.
As I've mentioned here probably, oh 5,305 times, I'm moving very, very soon. But, before you roll your eyes and exclaim, "is she going to talk about that again, " I have an interesting twist to my moving tale.
That picture is of the outside of my current house.
Being that this is the internet and everything I say can be accessed worldwide including nomadic huts in the Gobi desert, I'm not going to say anymore than my street number is 5305.
But, guess what? My new place, the place I'm moving to, the reason I have one of those storage pods in front of my house, and, thanks to my eldest's boyfriend, a "staging area" for all the boxes, etc. that will go out to the pod, is also...5 3 0 5. Yep. I'm making a perfectly parallel move a few blocks east.
Now, I'm a girl and oh so touchy feely, so there's no way I can not read something into that, though until I wrote that previous sentence, I hadn't thought about what making a "parallel" move might mean on a cosmic level.
Obviously when I first went to see the new house, as a prospective buyer, I thought it was cute that the addresses were the same. If the house had turned out to be wrong for me in terms of size, location, or just general layout, then that's where the cuteness would have ended.
But it didn't. I knew within the first few minutes of being in the house that it was "my house" and now the fact that it shared the same number as my current home only seemed to reinforce that. 
If you think about it, it is a pretty amazing coincidence, which, by the way, I don't believe in. Everything happens for a reason. It's not just a pinnable quote on Pinterest or something to "like" on Facebook. I think it's reality.
Considering all the instability and uncertainty that has defined my life for the past 2 years, the constancy of those numbers and the appearance of that constancy at a time when I'm moving away from what had been our family home is a message from the universe, " Everything's going to be OK."
And, to celebrate and acknowledge that, the numbers are coming with me.
When we moved into the current house 8 years ago, I purchased these ceramic numbers from a local artisan. I had seen them on someone else's house and tracked down their source so I could get my own set. I've always loved them and would periodically point them out to visitors.
Don't worry, I'll dash to the hardware store to buy some plain, black house numbers for the new owners. I wouldn't want their house to be anonymous, but, these ceramic numbers and I are fated to stay together.
They're my lucky numbers!

9 comments:

natalie. beyond the reef said...

5305 or 1+3 = 4. Maybe this is your number!! enjoy your new home. Grow where you are planted, and all that! appyDays.

natalie. beyond the reef said...

Sorry...HappiestDays!!!

Esch House Quilts said...

I agree - a very good sign :)

Debbie said...

That's so cool, Malka! I love those ceramic numbers, too. It's giving me ideas now...

Good luck with your move. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Stephie said...

I'd say it's a sign that you can't move anywhere ever again unless it's got the same number! The colours of those numbers seem so 'you'! Happy packing :)

liz said...

So cool! And those numbers are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Good for you

Paula said...

A similar thing happened to me when I moved 6 years ago....I was going through a very difficult time and praying a lot....after I moved into my new house, I realized that my address was Cross Street! I truly believe that we are led to the things we need. Congrats on your new home!

Craftysquirrel said...

I bought beautiful ceramic house numbers in Spain some yrs ago, I left them on the house as we bought a totally different number, only to move again to another home with the same number as those ceramic tiles - should have kept them!