Monday, April 8, 2013

What's on My Wall

News Flash: I'm selling my house. Or, more accurately, I'm getting my house ready to sell. The market is super hot(Yay!) here in Austin, Texas and with it being just myself and my daughter, I'm ready to downsize a bit. So, in preparation for putting it on the market, I'm clearing out stuff. Sound simple so far? Yeah, not so simple.
I'm not by nature a sentimental person. I don't hang on to every picture my girls ever drew or every garment they wore. Truth be told, I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to discarding things. Haven't used it in the past few years? Add it to the giveaway pile. No anxiety. No regrets.
Except when it comes to fabric and sewn bits and pieces. 
Right now I'm clearing my studio space and I keep coming across an idea just barely sketched out in needle and thread, but, hey, maybe I could rescue it from the land of unrealized and bring it to it's much deserved fruition. At least that's the way my thinking goes.
In fairness to my semi-delusional self, I do have some base standards. I will completely abandon a stray block or two that I knew, even at the time I fist conceived the idea, I have no real interest in. I'm also pretty good about casting off project beginnings that were so complicated that I abandoned them because I could feel my blood pressure rising at the thought of working on them.
So, with that justification, I'm working on finishing or, in some cases, re-imagining some of these ideas. Is this the best use of my time? Uh...no, I should be culling things down, not creating, but if I were that singly focused, I probably wouldn't have come up with these ideas in the first place.

5 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

I totally get what you are sharing. Isn't it fun to discover an old thought and be excited by it all over again?!

Good luck with the sale and moving.

Cheryl Arkison said...

You never know where it will go...

Sandra Paschkow said...

This Aussie loves your beautiful fabric lines - bold and so colourful. Just love your work. I became the proud owner of your latest book 'Fresh Quilting' it hasn't left my side. Have almost finished a quilt using your fabric 'A stitch in colour'. Just love it. I also have some charm squares in Simple Marks to tease me as well. Cheers, Sandra P

patty a. said...

Moving can be a daunting task. It is amazing how much a person can accumulate! I moved about 9 years ago and I filled a box truck with just my sewing stuff! I plan on moving again in the next 3 to 4 years and I have already been getting rid of stuff in preparation for that plus painting and fixing stuff around the house. I am not dragging all the stuff I brought with me on my last move with me on the next move! Good luck with your move!

Melanie said...

I'm so with you on the ruthless culling, much to my husband's chagrin! Hope you'll stay in ATX. We just move here in Oct and I really love it, though I wish the music scene didn't so badly overshadow the art scene!