Thursday, August 18, 2011

a stitch in color :: preview project #4

I actually have two projects to preview, but my skirt model isn't available, so we'll have to go with stuff I can shoot sans human assistance.
Today's project is brought via the amazing bag patterns that Keyka Lou offers. I'd definitely recommend checking out her selection of downloadable PDF patterns for everything from wee little clutches to messenger bags. The patterns are well written and organized and include plenty of illustrations.
I've made her easy envelope clutch in the past, so I thought I'd give it another go this time with some of my a stitch in color cottons.
I made three versions of this clutch, all in about 3 hours.

 My first version was pretty true to the pattern. I chose a focus fabric and a lining fabric, added interfacing and batting as well as a button from my stash and in about 30 minutes it was done.
My second attempt was a bit more complicated. I decided to quilt the exterior fabric and to finish the edges of the clutch with bias binding. it obviously took a little longer and created a slightly larger finished product.

I love the way the button mimics the circular motion of the swirls in the fabric and quilting.
Finally, I made the mini envelope clutch. It's essentially the same pattern, but smaller and therefore all the cuter.
Look closely at the face on the button of the mini clutch. Who could that be, I wonder?

9 comments:

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Frank is one of my favorites too! Love these bags and you are really teasing me with these fabrics. How long do we have to wait again?????

Jeni Baker said...

Those are so cute! I especially love the quilted one! :)

Kitty Bee said...

These fabrics look gorgeous - the colours are so vibrant! I like the fact that they are bright but not girlie - I want to make a quilt for my son but want something ore exciting that plain, bold colours or dull browns/greens. Do you know yet if they will be avaiable as a strip roll?

Kitty Bee said...

...Sorry - meant to say ..'More exciting than...'

Susan said...

Frank! Frankly fabulous! Your clutch purses are great!

Elbow Chronicles said...

What an adorable bag! Thanks so much for sharing :-)

Spontaneous Threads said...

ol' blue eyes himself…….

susan said...

these are great! i have asked my fav quilt shop to check out your fabric. i hope she does. yes, moda makes incredible packs of fabric. its gonna take off at market.

elnorac said...

Oh, ya done great! Love your fabric!