Monday, May 2, 2011

Found, though I didn't know it was lost.

A quick shout out to Heather over at Modern Day Quilts for posting about my workshop sample and mentioning the talk I'm giving tonight to the Austin Area Quilt Guild.
I've put together about 115 slides of work that spans about 20 years. For instance, this is the first quilt I ever made:
It fits a double bed and is intensely hand quilted. What was I thinking?
Also, here's a quilt I totally forgot about:
I made it as a commission years ago and when I came across the slide I actually said, "Hey, I completely forgot this quilt existed.
More from the faulty memory archives:
These quilts date back to a time when I had a professional photographer take slides for me, thus the black background. I must have scanned them into digital images at some point because there they were on my hard drive.
It's been fun to put together this retrospective and take some time to look at my work as it has evolved and discover quilts I hardly remember making. It's probably an important lesson about the value of documenting your work. I know I'm glad that while I have but a vague memory of these quilts and several others included in my presentation, my computer remembers them all. Thanks, Hal. :)

9 comments:

Jodi said...

I love your new header and your first quilts! Thanks for sharing! I wish I lived in TX!

Michele said...

What a fun trip down memory lane. Thanks for the eye candy!

TALA (BIRAKTIĞIM İZLER) said...

Süperrrr

Colleen Kole said...

Drop dead gorgeous header. The barn is the perfect backdrop fro this beautiful quilt. Have fun at the lecture.

Debbie said...

Absolutely love your new header!

sophie said...

I loved the slide show tonight. I confess I was completely unfamiliar with your art quilts and especially enjoyed seeing those. Thanks for telling us your story.

carol said...

It just shows that your quilts have always (even from the waaay beginning) been gorgeous and inspirational! I wish I had half your talent (and hand dyes)! LOL

Heather said...

Thanks for the shout out and thanks for the great talk. It was wonderful to see your creative progression over the years. Very interesting!

Spontaneous Threads said...

Wow! great visual journey through time. Thanks for sharing.