Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Just, just

Just wanted to post a few thoughts that have been floating around in my head lately.
I've owned this book for a long time, but can't begin to count how many times I've "rediscovered" it. It's once again sitting atop the stack of books on my nightstand, available for regular infusions of inspiration. I hear(really read) a lot about the influence the Gee's Bend quilts have had on a host of quilters, and while I love those quilts, this book predates the Gees Bend exhibits and books by at least a decade. Yet, I don't hear much discussion about the quilts pictured here or in Eli Leon's terrific compendium of African American improvisational quilts. Why is that?
Check out this wonderful image.
...or this beauty. And the scale on these quilts is large. They are bed size pieces which means that each one of these log cabin blocks is like thiiiiiiiis big.
Leafing through this book lately has been so wonderful. What really amazes me is how I continually see new things in these quilts. This book was probably one of the first quilting books I ever purchased and is now one of many in a crowded bookcase, but it still makes great bedtime reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that book recommendation - it looks wonderful!

Karoda said...

This was one of my first purchases in books also and you're making me wish it wasn't packed up in my storage closet.

Anonymous said...

wow, this i s a great book, thanks...

Kiandra said...

oh...i've been going through your archives with my mouth open for the past ten minutes are so...i just discovered you.

i have a lot of the african american quilt books you speak about, particularly the one of this post...i love it!

i just had to say i love your work to pieces...such inspiration for myself. happy to have stumbled upon you.