Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hanging out the wash

The other day my husband asked me why I've sewn so many tops for myself lately. After initially pretending that I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, I had to admit that I'd made 10 such garments this past summer. His question made me stop and wonder why I'd spent so much time and energy sewing these shirts. Then I realized that making these tops for myself is like the ultimate crafting treat. Sewing them doesn't take a lot of time, I have something new and wonderful that I can enjoy, and I get some recognition from others when I wear my new item. In fact that sense of pride increases when, after someone says,"Hey, I like your shirt," I answer, "Thanks, I made it myself."Most of these tops were sewn on a Sunday. Sunday is my biggest work day of the week. I have the whole day to hole up in my studio and sew or dye. I love Sunday and if it's been a productive day then I allow myself the digression of sewing for myself. It's hard to describe how excited I am when I go to bed Sunday night knowing that the next morning I'll wear something new and newly made. Even the pain of waking up at 4:30 am, driving to swim team and swimming for 90 minutes is blunted by the knowledge that in my dry bag is my new,cute little top waiting for it's debut.
Further proof that it is the little things that make life so sweet.
Just in case you think I'm done with this self-indulgence...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yipee for Sundays and self indulgence! I can't wait for my hubby to get back from his trip so I can have my indulgent Sundays back too.

Donna said...

Such lovely tops! I really like the red and white one on the left

Sarah said...

Your blouses are really pretty and unique. Keep on making them! Also, the hand dyes in your etsy shop are gorgeous.